Sign In

Wrigley Field

Wrigley Field


Product Description

The stadium was designed by brothers Zachary Taylor Davis and Charles G. Davis. The steel and concrete structure was built in 1914 on the site of a former seminary at the corner of Addison and Clark streets on the north side of Chicago. (Boston’s Fenway Park opened two years earlier.) It reportedly cost $250,000 and took just two months to complete. The single-deck stadium was named Weeghman Park after its owner, Charles Weeghman, and had a seating capacity of 14,000.

The park hosted its first major-league baseball game on April 23, 1914, with the home field Federals (of the Federal League) defeating the Kansas City Packers. After the league folded in 1915, Weeghman led a group that purchased the Cubs, and the team made its Weeghman Park debut on April 20, 1916. Four years later William Wrigley, Jr., a chewing-gum manufacturer, bought the Cubs and renamed the stadium Cubs Park. In 1926 the current name, Wrigley Field, was adopted. The team and stadium were later bought (1981) by the Tribune Company; Wrigley Field reportedly sold for $600,000.

Throughout much of its history, the stadium underwent renovations. The first occurred just days after the opening game in 1914, with the outfield walls being moved back to decrease the number of home runs. More notably, in 1927–28 an upper deck was added, and in 1937–38 the firm of Holabird & Root created a boomerang-shaped bleacher section. The latter renovation also saw the addition of two features that would become among the stadium’s most well known: a hand-operated scoreboard (which remains in use) and ivy on the outfield brick walls. In addition, the stadium’s Art Deco marquee, located outside the home-plate entrance, was added in 1934. Although initially green in colour, it was later painted red.

Capacity: 41,160

Tenant: Chicago Cubs (MLB)


There are no reviews yet.

Add Review

Add Review

Be the first to review “Wrigley Field”

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *