Ross–Ade Stadium

Ross–Ade Stadium


Product Description

In 1922 David E. Ross and George Ade, both great figures in Purdue University’s history, bought 65 acres (26 hectares) of dairy farm in what is now the northern edge of the campus. This is where the school’s third ever stadium was built. And of course the Ross-Ade name is self-explanatory.

Construction only took several months because there was only one grandstand in the initial layout (13,500) and 5,000 standing room around the field and running track. Although there was landfill prepared for the northern curve already and in 1930 concrete stands covered it, increasing the size to 23,000+.

In late 1940s additional steel rows were added to the land-based stands. 1950 brought the stadium’s first press box, while in 1955 the east side was completed, creating a nearly symmetric horseshoe shape.

In 1957 the running track was removed and in 1964 the field got lowered, enabling creation of new lower rows in the track’s place. Late 1960s brought the capacity peak of over 69,000, but 70,000 was never reached. Quite the opposite, the size was reduced along with regulation changes.

The biggest change to date happened in 2001-2003, when both roads along the west and east sides of the stadium were moved to make way for expansion. Not by additional stands, but new concession and sanitary infrastructure. In the west a massive office/hospitality building was built and a piece of the stands was cut out for an open-air business section.

Capacity: 62,500

Tenant: Purdue Boilermakers (NCAA)


There are no reviews yet.

Add Review

Add Review

Be the first to review “Ross–Ade Stadium”

Your email address will not be published.