The largest on-campus stadium in NCAA Division II, Happy State Bank at Kimbrough Memorial Stadium has a seating capacity of 20,000 and has stood as a symbol of pride for West Texas A&M University fans since 1959. A synthetic granular-infilled playing surface, known as FieldTurf, was installed during the summer of 2003. This surface is soccer-friendly and has enabled the facility to host numerous sporting events in addition to football.
Originally known as the Buffalo Bowl, the facility was renamed Kimbrough Memorial Stadium in 1971 in honor of the late WT football coach and athletic director Frank Kimbrough. Operation of the stadium has been facilitated by the Canyon Independent School District since 1991, when the University leased Kimbrough to the Canyon Independent School District in a 99-year, $99-agreement.
The location, just off the Interstate 27 on the Amarillo-Canyon Expressway, was chosen for its ground features that made a bowl-like construction easier for the Neil Singleton Construction Company of Amarillo. The $700,000 financing was handled, in part, by donated money from boosters desiring to replace the old 7,000 seat, on-campus structure that occupied land where the Administration Building, Killgore Research Center and Cornette Library now stand.
Tenant: West Texas A&M Buffaloes (NCAA)