In 1944, Colorado Stadium was renamed Folsom Field in honor of legendary football coach Fred Folsom. As support for the team continued to build, Folsom Field was expanded. The first expansions occurred in 1956, when the upper deck was added around the majority of the stadium increasing the capacity to 45,000. By the 1967 season, the track was removed from around the field and 6,000 seats were added, along with the construction of new locker rooms on the north side of the stadium. One year later a massive six story press box was constructed. Three years later artificial turf was installed at Folsom Field replacing the natural grass. Before the 1976 season, the wooden bleachers were removed and replaced with aluminum seats boosting the capacity to just over 53,613. The Dal Ward Center and new bleachers on the north side of the stadium were constructed in 1991. Luxury suites and club seats were added to the stadium in 1995 and 2003. Prior to the start of the 2012 season, two new digital video boards that were added to the north and south ends of the stadium. The latest expansion at Folsom Field was finished before the start of the 2016 season. Completed as part of a $156 million dollar initiative, the north endzone was completely rebuilt. The existing bleachers were renovated into loge boxes, club seating and other club areas.
Fans attending games at Folsom Field see one the most famous pregame traditions in college football. Ralphie, the team’s 500 pound buffalo mascot, with the care of five handlers, leads the team onto the field before each game.
Tenant: Colorado Buffaloes (NCAA)