It may be the fourth oldest ballpark in the American League, but the home of the Kansas City Royals has remained one of the most picturquest ballparks in baseball. When it opened in 1973 the stadium broke away from the trend of multipurpose stadiums built during this time. Major League Baseball arrived in Kansas City in 1955 when the Philadelphia Athletics moved to the city and into Kansas City Municipal Stadium. Originally built in 1923, it was rebuilt and expanded for the A’s. In the early 1960s owner of the A’s Charles Finely began to look to move the team to a new city. In an effort to keep the team in Kansas City, the Jackson County Sports Complex Authority was established to acquire land, design, construct and funding for a new sports complex for the A’s and the Kansas City Chiefs (NFL) who also shared Municipal Stadium. Original plans called for a multi-purpose stadium but were scrapped because of design and seating capacity issues. Unlike many other cities that were building multipurpose stadiums at the time, the county decided to build two new stadiums, one for the A’s and one for the Chiefs. In June 1967 a $102 million bond was issued for construction of two sports stadiums. However, the A’s left for Oakland, CA in October 1967, as Charles Finely did not want to wait for a new stadium to be constructed.
Tenant: Kansas City Royals (MLB)