In Spring 2000 it was hard for many fans to picture the Detroit Tigers playing anywhere else other than Tiger Stadium, a ballpark where they had called home since 1912. However that changed in April 2000 when the Tigers moved to Comerica Park in downtown Detroit, a ballpark that the team has great success at, winning two American League Championships.
The concept of a new stadium for the Tigers began in the 1980s. Fans saw no need to replace Tiger Stadium as it was a great place to watch a ballgame and was a historical ballpark full of charm and character. Ownership wanted a new stadium with more modern amenities that include luxury suites and club seats. In 1988 several sites were identified as possible locations for a ballpark including west of Fox Theater, the northeast edge of downtown Detroit and north of Tiger Stadium in the Briggs community. The Tigers initially favored the site north of Tiger Stadium until the revitalization of Detroit’s theater district began. In 1987, the Tiger Stadium Fan Club was formed to support renovating the stadium and developed plans to renovate Tiger Stadium. The Tigers were leery of this plan because they would have to acquire 10 acres of land and also close the stadium for two years. In 1992 Detroit entrepreneur Mike Illitch purchased the Tigers and was committed to building a new stadium for the team in order to spur redevelopment in downtown Detroit. However, an ordinance was passed by voters banning public financing on any new stadiums. The Tigers were not detoured from building a new ballpark in downtown Detroit. In 1995 the city agreed to help fund a new downtown stadium and in March 1996 voters approved a plan for construction. Following other ballparks that were built during the 1990s, the Tigers new ballpark was built mainly of steel and concrete, with a brick exterior.
Tenant: Detroit Tigers (MLB)