Built in 1957, Bragg Memorial Stadium is home to Florida A&M Football. The stadium is named in memory of two of the school’s earliest figures in its storied intercollegiate athletic program—the “First Family of Rattler Football”—the father and son combination of Jubie and Eugene Bragg.
Jubie Bragg was one of the school’s first athletic directors, being one of the key figures in the football program gaining varsity status in 1906. He returned after a brief stint at Tuskegee to become the school’s first head football coach and athletic director at FAMU from 1923 to 1925 and again from 1930 to 1932.
Bragg’s son, Eugene, one of the school’s first All-America gridders (1927), took over the reins of the program in 1934, coaching through 1935, when an automobile accident ended his life.
The original Bragg Stadium opened in 1947 and served as the home of Rattlers football from 1947 to 1956. Prior to 1947, Florida A&M’s home football field was known as Sampson-Bragg Field. The original football field was located on a cow pasture south of the campus and then on a grass field, located on a hill directly behind the current Gaither Gymnasium, where the present track and field complex is located.
The field was moved to that location, so that fans could use the bathroom facilities in the nearby dormitories. At the previous location in the cow pasture, it was a walk of a quarter mile to the nearest restroom. However, thanks to appropriations from the Florida Legislature, the all-steel stadium on the campus’ westernmost edge was built in 1957.
Tenant: Florida A&M Rattlers (NCAA)