History of this stadium is one of the rare cases in which the opening took place in a different place than the stadium stands currently. Initially Beaver Field was placed 1 mile west of its current spot, back in 1909. Built with wooden stands, later replaced by steel structure able to hold 30,000 people.
And it’s that steel structure that was relocated in 1959 and reopened in the north-eastern end of Pennsylvania State University Campus in 1960, where it stands today. The operation was combined with expansion by 16,000 and when the ground was reopened with exactly 46,284 capacity.
But Penn State football has long tradition of demand exceeding capacity and so further expansions were quite frequent. By 1972 it was already 57,000 and over 60,000 in 1976.
Tenant: Penn State Nittany Lions (NCAA)