Home of the Tulsa Golden Hurricane, Skelly Field at HA Chapman Stadium is the smallest stadium in the AAC. In the mid to late 1920s as football became popular and Tulsa sprawled, support built for a new football stadium. In May 1930, groundbreaking for a new football stadium occurred and five months later it was completed.
Named after William Skelly, the primary benefactor, it had an original seating capacity of 14,500 when the Hurricane played their first game at the stadium against Arkansas. The first of several additions occurred seventeen years after its opening. The seating capacity was increased by 5,000 when stands were added in the north endzone. Because of the addition in the north endzone, the main scoreboard was moved to the south endzone. In 1965, Skelly Field at HA Chapman Stadium the capacity increased to 40,385. During this expansion the track was removed and seats were added on the south and west sides of the stadium. A two story pressbox was also constructed during this time. Artificial turf replaced the natural grass playing field in 1972 that has since been replaced with Fieldturf. In 1980 and 84 new modern scoreboards were installed. Originally known as Skelly Stadium, the stadium was renamed Skelly Field at HA Chapman Stadium in April 2007. After the 2007 season, renovations began to the Golden Hurricane’s home. This project included a new press box, 22 luxury boxes and a new scoreboard. The $9 million Case Athletic Complex was constructed at the north endzone as a museum for Tulsa University football. The upper section of the west stands was removed decreasing the seating capacity to 30,000, making Skelly Stadium the smallest stadium in the American Athletic Conference.
Tenant: Tulsa Golden Hurricane (NCAA)