Sign In

The Glass Bowl is one of the oldest stadiums in the MAC conference dating back to the 1930s. The stadium was built as part of President Franklin Roosevelt’s Work Projects Administration programs to help employ people during the economic hardships of the Great Depression. A stadium was needed in the Toledo area and by the 1930s construction began on a new facility. The stadium was originally known as University Stadium when the Rockets played their first game at the stadium on September 27, 1937. When it opened, the stadium had a seating capacity of 8,000 with seating on both sides of the gridirons. A grass hill was on the south side of the stadium and two stone towers, that are still at the stadium, were on the north end.

In 1946, University Stadium was renamed the Glass Bowl because of the Toledo’s glass industry. Over the years, there have been few additions and changes to the stadium. In 1966 seating was added in the south endzone and in 1975 a new modernized scoreboard was installed at the Glass Bowl. Fifteen years later in 1990, the seating capacity was increased from 18,500 to its current capacity of just over 26,000. This addition also included a new three story press box that includes 40 luxury suites and 400 club seats. The latest renovation project was completed in 2016. This $3.5 million project updated the playing field, facade, restrooms, locker rooms and several other areas around the stadium.

Capacity: 26,248

Tenant: Toledo Rockets (NCAA)

Sport

Video

Location

Add Review

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Service
Value for Money
Location
Cleanliness

Added By The Stadium

The Stadium

This Stadium has not yet been claimed by the owner or a representative.

Claim this Stadium to add information, edit details, receive messages from prospective customers, view statistics, and respond to reviews.