Sign In

Opened after just 7 months of around-the-clock work in 1929, this stadium in western Iowa City was then called simply Iowa Stadium. Owned by University of Iowa was indeed pride of the state as it had two vast grandstands (partly sunken, partly built with concrete and steel) with capacity of 25,000+ each.

No major changes were carried out until 1956, 1983 and 1990, when additions of new sections behind northern and southern goals allowed it to exceed 70,000, the capacity it has today. To date the greatest renovation came in 2004-2006, when nearly $90 million was invested to reconstruct the entire south end and add a new press/VIP tower in the west.

The stadium’s name changed in 1972 to honour Nile Kinnick. He was a rising star of American football in 1939, when the WWII forced him to join the army. He was killed during a training flight near the coast of Venezuela.

Capacity: 70,585

Tenant: Iowa Hawkeyes (NCAA)

Sport

Video

Location

Add Review

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Service
Value for Money
Location
Cleanliness

Added By The Stadium

The Stadium

This Stadium has not yet been claimed by the owner or a representative.

Claim this Stadium to add information, edit details, receive messages from prospective customers, view statistics, and respond to reviews.